Properly Sanitize Your Two-Way Radios During COVID-19
With the COVID-19 Pandemic all around us, hospitals and essential personnel have been over-loaded with patients and concerned citizens. The fact of the matter is that individual efforts can influence the spread of the virus. Washing your hands, keeping a six-foot space between people, social distancing; everything helps. Even your communication methods can make a difference.
Below are some tips on how to disinfect your two-way radio. They were provided by L3Harris, but Simoco, and Motorola have also issued their own recommendations. It is not recommended to dunk the radios in just water to sanitize them, rather take simple measures using a clean cloth and wiping the radio down.
L3Harris recommends following the steps below for rigorous cleaning:
“Do not use chemical cleaners, sprays, denatured alcohol (ethanol), or petroleum-based products, they may damage the radio housing.
For all L3Harris mobile radios and control heads, portables radios, and mobile/portable accessories we recommend using one of the following disinfectants:
- Calla 1452 (or equivalent)
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Diluted Bleach (1:10 Bleach: Water)
In addition to Calla 1452, Isopropyl Alcohol, Diluted Bleach, the XL Portable family has been tested with these additional disinfectants that will not degrade the radio with normal usage.
- T36 Disinfex (Viralex)
1. Apply the cleaning solution to a clean damp cloth and clean the radio Do not spray cleaning solution directly on radio or control head or accessory. To clean the portable radio in the speaker and microphone areas or mobile accessories, carefully wipe these areas but prevent the cleaning solution from entering the speaker or microphone openings.
2. Wipe off the radio with clean damp cloth using mild warm soapy water.
3. Follow up by wiping off the radio with clean damp cloth using warm water only.
4. Wipe dry with clean cloth
There are many sanitizing wipes on the market, the main ingredient in them may also be in the products we have tested. Because the other active ingredients in the wipes are untested, we can’t confirm they are safe for use on L3Harris radios.”
In addition to the tips above for sanitizing your two-way radios, we also recommend the following tips for your accessories:
a) Avoid sharing audio accessories until the Pandemic is over.
b) Do not use water or cleaning sprays on accessories, they could be damaged.
c) Use wipes with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or apply it to a microfiber cloth and gently wipe down the accessory.
d) Always wear protective gear (i.e. goggles and gloves) while disinfecting all two-way radio equipment and discharge them once you are done.
If you have any questions about the proper sanitation procedures for two-way radios, please give us a call at 800.268.4098. Stay safe, everyone.
Written by Katie Madigan